Thursday, April 20, 2006

Quote of the Day-What Chu Talkin' 'Bout?

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." Plato

This reminds me of the philosophy I used to live by as a teenager, that it is better to remain quiet and to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Some folks think I don't talk a lot, and it is true. In a new setting, it is usually because I am observing and taking in the whole shebang. And I figure if their are some folks that really need to talk, I let them. I have no problem with sharing the time.

It can be interesting the things you learn from folks if you are open to it. Though admittedly, I am not always open to interaction. I don't know how to explain it, other than talking is not a strong suit for me. Funny, though, how I ended up in the education field...:-)

Derrick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some of the best educators were those who taught by example, rather than lecture. How many times have we sat in an evening classroom after working all day, only to be bored my ," Bueller, Bueller"?... Indeed, we have all experienced that at one time or another. Those teachers who were best were those who interacted and allowed interaction and participation. I think that most people would agree that those who speak little in a public setting are much more pleasant to be around than those who talk too much. By the way, "Stop playing the piano and have someone move that umbrella!.. Case in point. Sorry, inside joke. See,the sounds of silence were better enjoyed ( and much safer) than conversation participation. I had fun at lunch too. :-)