Sunday, August 16, 2009

Drinking Poison

Why is it that we humans so often want what is worst for us? i.e. Eating 10 donuts instead of 1; going shopping and buying more than what we can afford etc. Our sinful souls frequently seem to get the better of us. As Paul said, "For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I (would) like to (do,) but I am doing the very thing I hate." (Romans 7:14-15)

What can we do to help ourselves from falling into the very thing we know we must avoid?
  1. We must totally devote ourselves to our only hope, Jesus Christ. Otherwise everything is in vain.
  2. Do NOT put yourself in a situation where you know you will be tempted. Now, that is not to say, turn into a hermit and hide from the world; but if you know that going to Abercrombie and Fitch will cause you to yield to the temptation of spending $500 on clothes that you can't afford -- DON'T GO!
  3. It's always a good idea to memorize scripture so that when you confront temptation, and do not have a Bible handy, you can dwell on the verse instead of the object of your temptation.

No comments: