Monday, June 01, 2015

Book Review: The Room

It has been a long time since I have read adult fiction. I usually read nonfiction books on theology or children’s fiction (I have and teach kids). So, I decided to see what the adults were reading. :-)  The book is The Room by Jonas Karlson


The idea sounded interesting. A man, Bjorn,works in an office and finds a mysterious room that no one knows about. He starts going into it. It is just a plain room, but he finds that it helps him do his job with an increased efficiency. Problem is: none of his coworkers have been in the room. None have been in there because, well, to them it doesn’t exist. It only exists for Bjorn. The others only see Bjorn standing near the lift, next to the toilets…standing there, motionless.

Needless to say, his coworkers are a little bothered by this. They bring it up to the manager and they have several meetings to discuss how bothersome this is. So, Bjorn reluctantly agrees to stay out of the room. Or does he?

The Room is a pretty quick read and nice enough. Unfortunately for me, it didn’t seem to go anywhere, besides the room. It was a little underwhelming, to be honest. However, it was kind of refreshing that, in this day and age, an adult novel didn’t have to resort to unnecessary violence, sensuality  or course language. In that aspect, it was a decent novel. I would have like to have seen more of what the room was capable of delivering. I think that the author could have went into some intriguing directions.

I would encourage you to read this book if you would a short refreshing little read. It did not take long to read and, as I said, it was a nice enough book. I just wish it would have done a little more. I would rate this 1 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.


I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments: