Friday, December 02, 2005

"There is No God"

Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller makes this statement over at NPR. Doug Tennapel has a decent respose to Jillette's comments. There is some abrasive language, but sometimes Doug does that. Regardless, the content of his post is good, I think.

I love the quote by Chesterton below.

Penn Jillette informs us that "There is no God" over at NPR. I'd
like to answer his challenge though I can't call it David and Goliath since I'm
also over 6' 6" and have an enormous mouth. How about Goliath and Goliath?

I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond Atheism. Atheism is not believing in
God. Not believing in God is easy -- you can't prove a negative, so there's
no
work to do. You can't prove that there isn't an elephant inside the trunk
of my
car......So, anyone with a love for truth outside of herself has to
start with
no belief in God and then look for evidence of God.



This is a blind assumption. I could use Penn's standards and make a similar
statement "Anyone with a love for truth outside of hisself has to start with a
belief in God (or non belief in no God) and then look for evidence of no God."By
the way, this is exactly what I believe Penn has done.

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried." -G K. Chesterton

Read the whole article here.

1 comment:

D.B. said...

Well, Shawn, I appreciate the props.
His post (Penn's) reminds me of Greg Koukl's comments that intelligent people make silly mistakes when it comes to moral things (paraphrase).

There are many atheists who are very smart, but they sometimes do make silly mistakes, but often they can be so forceful in their presentation so as to steamroll there way around. I think Penn is possibly one of like that, though admittedly he seems more sincere than his usual persona.

I still enjoy watching most of their magic shows. I'll have to check out your site when I get a chance. For those interested, the site's address is actually http://www.1sdg.blogspot.com and it has some interesting articles (from what I saw). You must check it out.

Derrick