Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Calvinism

A friend on the blog suggested that we could discuss Calvinism. I did not ask her if she could be more specific, so I am going to throw out a few thoughts on the basics as I know them. To be honest, I have not done a lot of research in this area, but I have a basic idea.

The idea of Calvinism (CA) is usually in opposition (I'm not sure that is the word I want) to Armenianism (AR). One of the differences that I am aware of is that CA believes that God has a greater part (emphasis on His sovereignty) in a person's salvation than AR. ARs believe that humans and their free will plays a bigger part.

Although on this point the two disagree theologically, they can, in my opinion, agree on the fact that it is, in fact, God who ultimately saves them.

A-Team Blog recently had a discussion semi-related.

This mnemonic (TULIP) is often used to outline the basic beliefs of CA.

T -- total depravity. This doesn't mean people are as bad as they can be. It means that sin is in every part of one's being, including the mind and will, so that a man cannot save himself.

U -- unconditional election. God chooses to save people unconditionally; that is, they are not chosen on the basis of their own merit.

L -- limited atonement. The sacrifice of Christ on the cross was for the purpose of saving the elect.

I -- irresistible grace. When God has chosen to save someone, He will.

P -- perseverence of the saints. Those people God chooses cannot lose their salvation; they will continue to believe. If they fall away, it will be only for a time.

Here is the full text (of a short article) discussing TULIP.

Here is one article outlining some bad arguments against Calvinism.

Derrick

No comments: